Providence

I’ve been eyeing Providence’s En Voyage menus since they started, and Mexico was my first opportunity to dive in.

Overall, I thought they nailed it.

Mexican style ceviche with octopus, shrimp, and scallop

This was everything I wanted in a ceviche. Each scoop of perfectly marinated seafood and toppings was outstanding. I could have just eaten this and been happy.

Rockfish cooked in banana leaf, roasted kabocha squash, mole, and pepitas

All respect to @PorkyBelly but I loved this. While I do agree that the fish kind of got lost in the complex flavors of the mole, I really didn’t mind because, well, I really like mole. My eyes rolled back in my skull once I wrapped it all up in a tortilla (in addition to the squash, pickled peppers, chicharron, leftover avocado, and dollops of the chipotle crema). I was very glad the tortilla was sturdy enough to take that abuse.

Coconut tres leches cake, with roasted pineapple, meringue, and passionfruit sorbet

The tres leches was spongey, custardy, and quite sweet. The coconut was powerful, making me wonder if it was topped with coquito, because it did taste a bit alcoholic (maybe?). It was a reminder to pour myself another drink at the very least.

I’m very grateful to have been able to dine at Providence last year and this takeout version had that same top notch quality. While it would be have great to get that supplemental cheese course in the middle (yeah I know queso is more Tex Mex but I wouldn’t have said no) I’m astounded by how well put together this operation is. Wire to wire, it’s likely the best higher-end-covid-take-out meals I’ve had.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Good report @rlw!

That sounds like a great bite.

I definitely tasted rum in the coconut tres leche cake too.

1 Like

great report @rlw, glad you enjoyed your first providence en voyage meal, they’ve been hitting it out of the park since week one.

and I totally admit I’m in the minority regarding the mole, but I agree that ceviche was excellent.

1 Like

had me at “adult tastykake”#teamtastykake

2 Likes

En Voyage XV - Maine Lobster Bake

this could have been called en voyage connie & ted’s, the first two items are right off of the CT menu.

little gem wedge salad - cherry tomatoes, egg, bleu cheese, nueske’s bacon
basically a tasty cobb salad. the sweet cherry tomatoes are perfect to balance out the richness.

maine lobster bake - lobster, mussels, steamers, linguiça, potatoes, corn on the cob
the seafood whisperer does it once again, a delicious table full of perfectly cooked butter delivery vehicles. hard to beat expertly cooked lobster drowned in butter.

i did need to reheat this about an extra 5 minutes to get everything hot.

these remind me of baby geoducks. the bellies were soft, plump, juicy and delicious, not one grain of sand. are these different from ipswich? @TheCookie, @NewTrial

parker house rolls
pro tip: use this to sop up all the lobster brains

blueberry hand pie (aka adult tastykake), whipped creme fraiche
fantastic, not cloyingly sweet, and even better with the whipped creme fraiche.

whoopie pies
brought me back to pennsylvania :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @Nemroz

stay tuned for next week’s uni themed menu.

17 Likes

Looks like this was done very well.

1 Like

Omg! This has gotta’ be the best high-end QPR in town. Whole belly fried clams are $41 a serving (MP) on C&T’s menu right now! That’s high.

Probably Ipswich (soft shell) - they’re best used for steaming & frying and have the full soft belly. :yum: I hadn’t thought about it but yeah they do look like baby geoducks, lol, with those long necks. We were so tempted to also get chowda’ from C&T like @NewTrial. :grin: But this looks like a lot of food!

3 Likes

Love steamers. Long neck clams? Very hard to find outside of the East Coast. They do get very sandy. Very important to dunk in hot water and remove the foreskin before dunking in drawn butter. Our favorite place to eat steamers is Pearl Oyster Bar. So good. Great area to bang bang at Joe’s or John’s Pizza. Great tap list at Blind Tiger. Our favorite Swedish candy store a few blocks away - Sockerbit.

2 Likes

It depends on Providence’s provenance for the clams. “Steamers” is a broad category referring to soft-shell clams generally, while “Ipswich” refers to a soft-shell clam from the mud flats around Ipswich, Mass. (though I am sure you will be shocked to learn that soft-shell clams from elsewhere might get marketed as Ipswich). Think of it as terroir.

3 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4:A lot of what’s called Ipswich also comes from Maine.

1 Like

It’s funny, since being in California and reading peeps talk about origins I feel like my New England seafood education was lacking - in my neck of the woods we never called anything by its origin like an Ipswich clam specifically. It was just steamers, big bellies and quahogs.

that fucking delicious black cod from the thai menu is back @TheCookie

First Course: Golden Sesame Panna Cotta with California Red Sea Urchin

Main Course: Roasted Local Black Cod, Honeynut Squash, Daikon, Yuzu, Uni Nage

Semi-Sour Rouge de Bourdeaux Baguette with Whipped Uni Butter

Dessert: Valrhona Guanaja Mousse, Caramelia Crémeux, Praline

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGLgC-bga9U/?hl=en

5 Likes

Argh!!! I had looked at your pics but not at the text. We followed the re-heating directions as written, and partner was so hungry that he didn’t want to wait any longer. :wink: Very lukewarm.

Still thought it was all delicious. Bleu cheese was potent but not funky and the tomatoes were a highlight. Seafood was perfectly cooked. Dare I say, though, that the hand pie + creme fraiche was my favorite part? Haven’t tried the whoopie pies yet.

3 Likes

The given reheating time is rarely accurate because they base their time off of their 10k Combi oven.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was actually think that their reheating directions might’ve been optimized for a more powerful oven… As good as it was, I imagine it would’ve been WAY better warm. ::sigh::

6 Likes

The uni panna cotta reminds me of their ugly bunch.

But that dessert! :heart_eyes: :cupid: :gift_heart: :sparkling_heart:

@PorkyBelly They’re selling guava and pineapple sorbet this week. Research?

2 Likes

Just watched the video! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::hearts::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So good!

3 Likes

I was going to skip this one, but that “uni sushi dessert” was the clincher! Looking forward to picking up my meal this weekend.

Just incredible work they’re doing week-to-week and now it’s my fave of the bunch of fine dining places doing take-out during the pandemic.

4 Likes