Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

10% off if you order directly on their site thru ChowNow.

1 Like

The Ronan regular pizza is $19 on Caviar, which seems par for the course. Is it just not that good? Roberta’s which I tried for delivery pre-pandemic is $17 for the regular pizza, but it just wasn’t good. Not a matter of QPR, just not good (although I have liked the Roberta’s I had at the kiosk near Grand Central Station - not sure what the problem is in Culver City). Antico is $25 for a huge pizza that could feed 3 or 4, but I just didn’t enjoy it.

Yep, I’m a thin crust gal but I enjoyed it and it’s a lot of food - heats well the next day in the toaster oven. We’d ask for a smidge more sauce & pepperoni. But that’s just us… ‘murican.

3 Likes

Omg. $50

9 Likes

Currently, only available on Saturday. Friday was available for dinner, but sold out.

Crooked Gaff Kitchen (Whittier)
Went to my local oyster house tonight. If you’re in the area, the deals they have are ridiculous. 2 sandwiches and 2 sides for $22. 3 course dinners for $30. Taco plate meals for $17. A full fusion-y menu of Mexican, Asian, and French items. Menus posted daily on IG. Beer and wine also available.
We ordered a slew of things and the chowpups gobbled it all down before I could take a photo. They’ve a fun Krabby Patty and a solid dry-aged burger. The fries will get soggy in the box, but the chowpups recommend the fried Brussels sprouts, mac & cheese, and the spicy green beans. Picked a growler each of mead and cider, too.
Chef Tony Alcazar worked with Chef Craig Strong at the Ritz-Carlton/Langham before he departed for south OC. He learned so much, but wanted to open something in his home neighborhood. He’s a great person…I got to chat with him and he said that he’s only doing about a quarter or a third of the business he was doing before. I hope he’s able to survive…I miss oysters and dipping his fries in the spicy soy vin that accompanies the green beans.

5 Likes

Sari Sari returns.

6 Likes

Whole buko pie: The new Antico Harry’s Berries ice cream pint…

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_p2nSgDfUO/

https://hatchetmarket.square.site/

6 Likes

It’s a hot buy. A lot of stuff is already sold out.

Gotta Love It

6 Likes

Whose ponying up for the Pappy 12 year special reserve at $695?

1 Like

I think I’m mistaken about Ronan’s 10% off for ordering delivery direct… or they changed the wording on their site. It now looks like it’s 10% off for Curbside only. Either way I’ll find out because we’re ordering when they open later.

on Doordash you can get your first Ronan order 20% off delivery or pick up.

1 Like

Yikes (image not mine)

1 Like

@Ns1 If the implication is that the restaurant is getting ripped off by Grubhub, then I would say that there is not enough info here to draw any conclusions.

It’s always GrubHub that seems to come up in these posts and discussions. I wonder what the rest of them are doing. I’m ordering delivery direct from the shop when they offer it, but during this period I’m not beating myself up for the occasional Postmate.

All I’m implying is gross less grubhub costs less other variable costs doesn’t leave a lot left.

Agreed. Absolutely awful time for the industry.
In your example, we don’t know what optional marketing tools the restaurant was choosing to spend the money on (e.g. Free Delivery, Higher SEO). I don’t like GrubHub, but from my recollection, their pricing model is:

1. Commssion: ~15% (20% for this restaurant)
  2. Marketing Fee: ~10%
  3. Processing Fee: 3-4%
    Total: ~25-28%

Everything else is probably add-on, opt-in services. I am not making the argument that combined service fees should be 25%, but that is the industry standard right now.

Sorry, I just snapped back because there has been a good amount of pushback from restaurant operators against these third-party delivery platforms. Culprits that come to mind: Zach Pollack & David Chang.

Pollack was posting on IG something along the lines of “We asked delivery service to lower their standard fee and they said no!” It came off like he thinks the delivery services owe him something. I don’t recall the content exactly, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Without restaurants there would be nothing to delivery.

Restaurants typically spend 60-70% of what they bring in on labor and food costs. That leaves ~35% for the rest. Rent, utilities, upkeep, all the costs that go into running a restaurant everyday…

Now you’re paying out ~20% to these services that send untrained drivers with no food safety knowledge requirements, brush as many fees as they can off on restaurants so consumers see as low a price as possible and also tell restaurants they can’t raise prices through their platforms to recoup any of the costs associated with those fees. Among a million other things.

It’s Silicon Valley. All the delivery services care about is getting people used to expecting delivery and service through these apps. What does the average person care about the costs of running a restaurant?

Theres a reason so many cities have passed or are working to pass laws capping their fees during this time.

6 Likes