September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Very nice weekend @CiaoBob.

Taco Maria… well, well. It’s like that?

Platinum Chirashi Bowl at Tsujita. The picture are always a thrill… If Disneyland were sushi. I think you’re the first to describe what something actually tastes like (marinated shrimp).

Nice tip about seating at O Mozza. Glad you had a nice dinner. In your face Aesthete :stuck_out_tongue:.

Thanks!

1 Like

Check out the “food free for all” thread aka “the island of misfit toys”. I put something up you peeps might be interested in this weekend.

1 Like

I know I already replied. But it’s a good question and I wanted to expound a bit more :slight_smile:. By posting in an existing thread you also help the community. For example we ate Lalibela Ethiopian food last Friday and at the City of Gold screening Sunday. Instead of doing a report in the Weekend Rundown I was going to post in the Ethiopian thread (I think Chowseeker started). So if someone is searching for Ethiopian they won’t get too many random hits. (I haven’t posted yet because we first want to go and eat more dishes).

Anyway, I thought this could be helpful :blush:. Feel free to ignore me.

1 Like

It’s the Tartine recipe from the NYT. It is BRILIANT (the recipe, not me… heh).

7 Likes

Gorgeous. What thread did you want this in?

Sorry, should’ve specified that I cooked it 2 weekends ago (in September) for a party. So it should be here. :wink:

Wow… nice job!

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Wow nice! :slight_smile:

That’s a seriously gorgeous loaf, @paranoidgarliclover!

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments. :smiley: It’s only taken me like 3 years to get a loaf to come out relatively right! :wink: I used to get relatively flat loaves that didn’t score correctly. :frowning: Figured out that I was likely overproofing and that the oven w/ just the light turned on got surprisingly out. Left the last few loaves out a room temp for the initial proofing and then in the fridge for the long, slow proofing, and have gotten MUCH better results (better spring, better scoring). The Tartine recipe also calls for folding rather than frank kneading.

Partner would like me to bake the loaves even darker, but I don’t need the loaves to look like ones from Lodge. :wink:

If it it weren’t so much work, I’d do much more often…

3 Likes

The Cookie - We love this place! Usually there for brunch but hit it last year after a Cirque show. It was so pretty with the lights and so tasty we went “Why don’t we come here at night ALL the time?”

1 Like

Yes @Happybaker! It was night and too dark to capture how great looking Bon Vivant is - the lounge area in front of the big fireplace, the cool bar, etc.

My girlfriend knows the woman who owns it. Apparently she took over a rundown space of what was formerly a senior citizen facility. She designed everything herself. A lot of work.

P.S. They’re supposed to have a great Happy Hour too.

Did you like any of these dishes… except for the dessert? Asking for a friend.

i enjoyed the short rib and cheese puffs, the pasta i thought was just okay. but i guess it’s all moot since they’re closing?

1 Like

What? Them too? Good lord, how they come and go.

according to eater, they’ll be closing the end of july.

1 Like

It looks like more of a change of scenery thing than a losing money thing. At least that’s how they’re explaining it. One Eater comment was funny “What you’re really saying is there is more pizza coming to the La Brea/Melrose area.”

I asked because I’m trying to find a nice, reasonably priced place for 8 ppl for early Saturday evening. We might need to postpone because dine/LA is eating up all the resys.

ronan has availability

1 Like

Thanks!

I enjoy Ronan but don’t think it is so “reasonably priced.”
It might be because I like to drink, but I never get out of there feeling sanguine about the prices.

1 Like