September 2023 Rundown

My friend and I liked it. Charcoal grills are their calling card. I thought the beef would be maybe a little bit smokier / higher temp (though we went just before 9pm on a Sunday, not sure if they’d normally let the grills get a little bit hotter). It has a good local charm and it’s full of local Korean speaking customers. The meat quality was pretty good, though, not any better than some of the other favorite barbecue joints. We enjoyed the jumulleok and galbi, banchan and side salad was solid, but I definitely prefer Chosun’s rice. I like that they have an easy parking lot, as well.

7 Likes

This is a tad far afield but had a great meal at the Sportsman in Kent. The food in the southeast of England was borderline great. The Margate scene is awesome

12 Likes

His blog is a great resource:

7 Likes

This is very kind @elsiedee @paranoidgarliclover, thank you for that! I’m sorry things have been slow for a good chunk of this year. The prices of meals, even those at the lower end of the spectrum, has risen quite substantially and coupled with a slow year money-wise for me, I have been cutting back. I do quite a bit of traveling as well, and unfortunately can only afford one of the two this year.

I get so sad when I look at the map that serves as my to do list… hopefully better times are coming soon!

23 Likes

Guisados Las Cazuelitas, East Los

Best deal in town. 4 tacos and a agua fresca/horchata for $11. Guisados on homemade tortillas. Get the chicharon en la roja! Add some cactus to the side.

11 Likes

The best delivery ever. Straight from the motherland.

16 Likes

Wait, what? How did you get delivery from Lebanon? Are they amazing???

What am I looking at here baklava?

1 Like

My friend brought it back on the plane.

5 Likes

This doesn’t seem like an appropriate first post for October rundown and I’m not sure where else to put it but I thought some folks might want to know The Joint is opening up their own hand roll bar.

9 Likes

Did you try it? If so, seems like a completely appropriate first Oct post to me. :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried their place inside the Culver City food hall? I was in there for drinks when they first opened and it looked pretty lonely….

Tried it the other day (last weekend).

1 Like

I have a couple times and enjoyed it! Caveat: I am no connoisseur of handrolls. They give you the hand roll as soon as it’s made so the nori is crisp, the fish has good texture and distinct taste, rice is good although I am no expect on sushi rice texture. Price was reasonable, but not cheap, for the quality.

5 Likes

Thanks! I LOVE KazuNori and so it had been on radar!

I liked it! fast service, good quality fish, a lot more rice than kazu nori but still delish

2 Likes

I didn’t like Uoichiba as much as KazuNori (thus no report).

6 Likes

Catching up on September forays…

Best Bet (Culver City), with @CiaoBob: We both agreed it was all right…

World Paella Day celebration at Tatel Beverly Hills: Uphill climb alert! The paella here has gotten much better! Excellent focus on the rice, with proper texture and socarrat. Huge bite!

Tartine (Santa Monica): Quite good. Nice place for a quick breakfast…

The Donut Man (Downtown LA): Unusually long strawberry season this year…

For The Win (Downtown LA): Not the best photo, but a deliciously messy smashburger nevertheless…

Artelice Bakery (Sawtelle Japantown): Happy for them, as they are (deservedly) getting super popular now…

Uoichiba Handroll (Sherman Oaks): Located in The Joint Eatery (with a sister location at Citizen Public Market in Culver City), one can request the chirashi to roll your own handrolls as well…

Lunasia (Cerritos): Solid execution on the dim sum classics…

Kogane (Alhambra): Another outstanding omakase at Kogane - Every bit as solid as the other high temples of sushi in L.A. Fantastic shari. Fumio-san doled out THREE different species of uni this evening, including the very tough-to-find (and outrageously tasty) aka uni, from waters off Kyushu… Huge bite!!!

Liu’s Cafe (Koreatown): Taiwanese casual comes to Ktown! Soft opened in September, the service is friendly and the food is comforting. Awesome beef curry, and THE best dan taat between the 110 and the 405!

Cofax (Culver City): Breakfast burrito is the call here, of course. Not as good as I recall from their OG Fairfax location, though…

Lan Noodle (WeHo), with @CiaoBob & @chrishei: Instantly THE best Northern Chinese noodle option in this hood. Excellent ‘Q’ on them noodles, but the spice level is a bit dialed down…

Pecking House popup @ Tuk Tuk (Sawtelle Japantown): Their touted chicken sando was decent, but the real surprise was the wonderful peach & ginger panna cotta, which I thought was a huge bite! Go figure…

Board House Coffee (West LA): Breakfast sandwich, with multigrain bread, was made with love…

19 Likes

I had the burrito, it is fine but a little too much rice that over powered the meat flavor. The tortilla truly is amazing so maybe get the burrito sin arroz or go quesadilla. I got it with costilla for an up charge and it was kind of bland and needed salt.

The premium Lorenza with the cheese filled jalapeño is pretty tasty. I got it with arrachera and added the salsa roja. The fresh made corn tortilla cooked til delicately crispy was excellent. I would definitely come back for these.

I still think the costilla at Los Cholos is reigning champ, but the flour tortillas at Mochomitos are really good.

1 Like

When we went a few weeks ago, they were out of costilla… But like you in general, we found the meat under seasoned which was a little disappointing.

I also got a Papa Loca since Baked Potatoes are like my favorite thing. I like the one at Los Cholos better.

3 Likes