Should “Curry” Be Cancelled?

For me, growing up in a rural community, the only “curry” I knew was the stuff in a jar. In our household it was used for one dish: hot curried tuna. (Those who are sensitive sorts might wish to not read the following bit.)

What is hot curried tuna? A dish that my Midwest-born and raised mother came across somewhere. It consisted of a can or two of tuna, Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup, a soup can of milk, and curry powder. Heated through and served over brown rice or toast.

I’m fairly certain that I didn’t have anything else with curry until my early 20s, when I fell in love with a Canadian from the Toronto area who had a love for Indian food.

2 Likes

No, it really shouldn’t. But it is a good reminder not to use words thoughtlessly.

1 Like

I don’t think that genie’s going back in the bottle after more than 250 years of spreading around the globe.

The first curry recipe I learned was from a friend’s mom who has a master’s degree in home economics from Purdue. Her “ten-boy curry” was chicken in white sauce flavored with curry powder with ten side dishes of stuff to put on it including peanuts, sweetened shredded coconut, raisins, chutney, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and I don’t remember what else.

bisto

2 Likes

For Currywurst don’t use the Knorr stuff (it taste horrible) but that stuff (which pretty much every curry shop in Germany orders by the bucket)

3 Likes

I’d just add garam masala to ketchup.

I didn’t post any of those things because they’re good!

2 Likes

My and your Midwestern born and raised moms might be related. I grew up with curried eggs. Same sauce, sliced hardboiled eggs and canned peas, served over English muffins.

1 Like

That kind of “curry” was mainstream mid-century Americana. Vincent Price had a recipe in his cookbook. So did Betty Crocker.

1 Like

My cousin who was raised in Germany brings that back for me whenever she visits. Some brands are way too sweet.

2 Likes

Hah! I’ve been wanting to make that into a tuna noodle casserole ever since you posted about it a while back. I even bought a can of Golden Shroom Soup, lol… but I haven’t made it yet. :relaxed:

2 Likes