Sushi Kaneyoshi - Little Tokyo

@PorkyBelly it’s Komochi Ayu Kanroni (Simmered Sweetfish with Roe), finely chopped and roll into a ball for nigiri. One of my favorite from another dinner before the last collaboration I went to.

Yoshi San always have some new dish up his sleeves whenever I come back :muscle:

5 Likes

Do you know this was sourced from Yamayuki? At least one was purportedly ordered for the LA market in the past week or so…

Thanks!

I’m looking forward to their new concept, whatever it may be. That space is going to become a major LA destination, for sure.

1 Like

interesting, didn’t catch that.

My bad typo…

“Do you know IF this was sourced from Yamayuki?”

Trying to figure out who bought it… Kaneyoshi seems like a good candidate

oh, I don’t think so, it should have a yellow certificate like this if it’s from yamayuki right?

yumeya

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’d guess Sushi Gonza Onodera as they like to show off fish they’ve recently flown in when you dine with them.

2 Likes

Agree that this is my top omakase in LA; no misses, lots of highlights and some amazing hits. Porky has all the pics covered so I’ll just point out my personal stand out moments:

Saba Bozushi - Amazing saba here. One of the best Saba bozushi I’ve ever had! While previous bites were great, this one knocked my socks off! Flavor was insanely rich and intense from the first bite. The most “Saba” in a single bite of “Saba” I can recall if that makes sense.

Ankimo - One of my favorite preps in LA though it’s been a long time since I’ve had the SGO version which I recall being delicious.

Nodoguro - Another :exploding_head: moment. I might say this was divine? If you’ve had Nodoguro before it’s a bite that perfectly emphasizes what makes Nodoguro delicious. Definitely tied for top Nodoguro bite in my life.

Iwashi handroll - Sourness of the vinegar/pickling was perfect.

Also shout out to the ending soup as it is absolutely delicious. So much rich depth and flavor in there. :drooling_face:

With Kaneyoshi around, I’m not jealous of any other part of the country for sushi.

8 Likes

Shoku if my memory serves me correct. I’ll double check with them later. But pretty sure it was them

Edit : confirmed. It was shoku that bought the yamayuki

1 Like

still my favorite omakase in the city. highlights: shrimp stuffed shiitake, oyster somen, meji maguro, saba bozushi, ankimo, aji, nodoguro, oyster, tairagai, mehikari, iwashi, noresore.

@NYCtoLA @CiaoBob @Sgee power rankings forthcoming?

can you spot the japanese superhero?

shrimp stuffed shiitake

oyster somen

ikura chawanmushi

meji maguro, sakura chips, onion sauce

saba bozushi

ankimo

mozuku, amaebi

kinmedai

aji

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

nodoguro

oyster

tairagai

tachiuo, snow flake salt

zuke maguro

mehikari

otoro

iwashi

female and male uni

anago

noresore

tamago x5

after-dinner bonus rounds at saffy’s

grilled lobster skewer - green harissa, serrano-lime yogurt, herbs

(new) chopped chicken liver - challah, oyster mushrooms, date vinegar, capers, brown butter, cardamom

wood-fire shawarma - lamb & beef, lettuce, tomato, sumac onions, tahini, red ajika, laffa

lamb kebab - sweet & spicy peppers, onions, parsley, dry mint, marjoram

beef shishlik - yogurt, mint, garlic, pepper, marjoram, oregano

haven’t had the lamb kebab since opening night and really impressed how improved it is. this may give team chicken a run for its money. will need to do a side-by-side comparison @rlw

blood orange and vanilla swirl

15 Likes

Looks awesome. I scrolled too quickly through the post and thought Kaneyoshi was now serving schwarma. I need that soft serve.

3 Likes

Man, where do you put all that food???

Kaneyoshi looks superb, as always. LOL about the Japanese superhero! I wonder how many people notice that and how it came to be incorporated into the design? Pretty cute.

3 Likes

No one (at least in or group) noticed. We were told. It is cute.
The purpose of the “tatami mat” is even cuter - used for cell phones:

7 Likes

Ultra-luxe.

4 Likes

yoshi-san picked out the design.

1 Like

That’s great!

First sushi in LA since 2019. Fun evening and company! Thanks @PorkyBelly

Personal power ranking:

1. Oyster somen - excellent sauce oyster essense
  2. Mehikari - beautifully fried, so light and airy
  3. Meiji maguro - oh so lightly smoked.
  4. Mozuku & amaebi - crunchiest mozuku I’ve had. And amaebi textually complemented the mozuku while adding a saline foil
  5. Noresore - first time having cooked noresore,
  6. Saba Bozushi
  7. Stuffed shitake
  8. Oyster - none of the less desirable funkiness typically encountered in larger oysters. just creamy goodness.
  9. Iwashi
  10. Nodoguro
  11. Aji

Overally I was really impressed by the otsumami courses. However I did wish there were a few more nigiri courses.

Love the space, great improvement from local Pre-Covid era sushi bars.

Really enjoyed Saffy’s too, meats were tasty and well cooked. Also very impressed by the salads.

9 Likes

@PorkyBelly such a good reminder. I really miss Yoshi san’s Hikarimono, especially his iwashi! No Kohada and fat fat futomaki for you this time?

1 Like

i would like to see a @Armillaria and @PorkyBelly power ranking for kaneyoshi, yumeya zushi, shunji and hayato :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes