Sushi Recs

I wanted to come and ask about good sushi recommendations for my husband’s birthday? I tried to get reservations for Hayato but of course it’s nearly impossible. Any other ideas? I also thought about Knife Pleat. We have tried shibumi in the past and it was awful. His favorite was Urasawa. Thanks!

kaneyoshi

morihiro

inaba

4 Likes

Takeda is also excellent, and a lot easier to get into. The Chef’s Signature Omakase at the sushi bar is only available on Friday and Saturday at 6 pm, but it’s what I’d recommend. Chef Hide intersperses the side dishes (and there are a lot of them) with the sushi offerings, which I really like. The atmosphere is very low-key–it looks like there was little attempt to modernize the old space when Takeda moved in, so it feels rather old-school, which I also like. It’s a cozy, intimate setting. I think Takeda tends to get overlooked.

4 Likes

You should probably try for Kaneyoshi first, especially if you want exquisite sushi, but if you fail on that front their sister restaurant Bar Sawa is super fun for a celebratory evening of great food and drinking.

4 Likes

Seconding Takeda; my experience there was very good. Shunji and Brothers (SM) would be close runner-ups, as far as places where it’s not that hard to get reservations go.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth noting that Hayato is not a sushi restaurant. The kaiseki-coursed menu may offer raw fish preparations, but it does not mean it’s a sushi restaurant. Chef Go himself would not refer to his place as a sushi restaurant.

4 Likes

Morihiro (bar only) is tops for sure but it’s not the easiest to land on a specific date with less advance notice. I third the Takeda recs and that’s also where I find myself the most often. I find Kaneyoshi underwhelming, although the space is nice. Some other decent spots: 715 Sushi, Q Sushi, Sushi Ginza, Nozawa Bar (inside Sugarfish BH), Sushi Tama, There’s also old Zo which isn’t as special all these years with so many locations but it’s pretty consistent.

2 Likes

Shibumi’s not a sushi bar either.

had a great celebratory meal @ Sushi Note Omakase in BH last month. Pretty much a pure sushi experience, high QPR relative to others at this level - lots of luxe celebratory stuff, good service, generous pours.

5 Likes

My favorites are Sushi Ginza Onodera, Kaneyoshi, and Nozawa Bar. Given what you said about Urasawa and Knife Pleat, my first recommendation would be Sushi Ginza Onodera.