The Sale Thread

My Mom (born in Germany) used to bake mandlebrot – in fact it was her specialty. She wasn’t such a great cook, but was an excellent baker. I miss all those goodies.

3 Likes

My mom’s best friend’s mom had passed away. And as the best friend is dealing with the loss, being brave she suddenly went “Drat! And I never got her mandlebread recipe!” to which my mother replied “Don’t worry, I have it. It was so good I got it years ago.” And they both laughed.

That is the mandlebread I make today and, on the recipe card it is listed as “Mandelbrot.”

3 Likes

Ooh, maybe I should hold on to it a bit longer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not?!

Just wait for the right person - and it could be you! - to appear : )

2 for $5 hot dogs at Portillos:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure I’m posting in the right thread but Ranch 99 has mantis shrimp for $3.99/lb. Is that a good price? There’s no indication of size so are these tiny like bay shrimp? By comparison, the head on 40/50 shrimp next to it in the circular is $4.99/lb. Even frozen (which they definitely are) that seems like a pretty crazy price.

55%20PM

I’ve never eaten mantis shrimp but all the pictures I’ve seen are practically the size of tiger prawns. That can’t possibly be the case here, right?

2 Likes

That does seem like an insane price. I ate a bunch on my recent trip to Vietnam, and even there, granted they were alive, I don’t think it was nearly this cheap.

In terms of size, all the mantis shrimp I’ve seen in my life had all been about the same size, so I’m not sure they have the range that shrimps/prawns do.

Had to look these up. Found an article on Serious Eats. But I was very intrigued by the reader comments. Like this:

mattc5900
2:39 PM on 10/5/2010
Just to let everyone know these little guys are very aggressive and will leave a mark if handled. They can break the glass of an aquarium with a strike. i had couple of these come in on some reaf rock for my salf water tank and it took me a few weeks to catch them. I finally got them put them in a bucket with al little salt water i was showing my wife i put a long chop stick in the water to kinda move the shrimp and he nailed it and broke the chop stick. I’m sure they are tasty and i would be the first to try them but again be warned dont go willy nilly putting your hands in there at best you’ll have a nice chunk missing.

Mantis shrimps are some of the most interesting animals on the planet. They possess a cavitation weapon with the power of a .22 caliber round which can literally shreds crustacean shells, not to mention easily fracture a human finger bone.

On top of that scariness, their eyesight gets even better. While human visual systems, with two types of photoreceptor cells (rods & cones), are already considered quite complex in the animal kingdom, mantis shrimps possess no less than TWELVE different photoreceptors, and can see well into the infrared spectrum.

That, and they’re delicious…

9 Likes

Okey dokey, I swung by the Alhambra Ranch 99 last night and picked up these guys:

I can’t speak to quality but they’re about four inches long and frozen (maybe IQF?). I didn’t see if it said they were pre-cooked on the package but they were slightly pink so maybe? I’m not at all familiar with Mantis shrimp having never had them before.

Apologies for the poor photos, I wanted to post before they go off sale tomorrow in case anyone wanted to get them at $3.99/lb. However, as you can see below they normally sell for the whopping price of… $4.99/lb

3 Likes

That does seem like an insane price. I ate a bunch on my recent trip to Vietnam, and even there, granted they were alive, I don’t think it was nearly this cheap.

Just double checked my go-to reference for basics on seafood and saw that the yield for any given mantis shrimp is around 34% as opposed to shrimp so I guess it’s maybe not as economical as I thought…

Snake River Farms is having a site wide 15% off sale, https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/.

3 Likes

chess pie at wholefoods…
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FRe5TBBCA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

8 Likes

Oh wow, great.

Zingerman’s, https://www.zingermans.com/, just sent me a 10% off code and encouraged me to share it so here it is, JONQUIL. Expires 10/18 but if you want to do any holiday shopping with it they ship whenever you request.

1 Like

That’s where I’ve ordered by the case the Ortiz Spanish tuna.

1 Like

2 Likes

Swung by Eastside Italian Market and Deli today for the 90th anniversary celebration. I didn’t post here earlier because they didn’t detail what the deal was but you can get one of five or so of their classic sandwiches (size small) with a bag of chips and soda for $3. No limit to the number of purchases when we went but I don’t know how long they’ll hold to that.

Left to right that’s roast beef and pastrami with red sauce (not quite the DA special since I think it didn’t have cheese…?), classic Italian and meatball and peppers with sauce.

I’m always a fan of the meatball sub here but I enjoyed the Italian more than I remember. Good bread all around that’s chewier than the normal size although the sauce soaks right through it.

One particular option that surprised me was the cannoli (two small for an extra dollar). The shells were real crisp (probably fried very recently) and the filling wasn’t too sweet.

Celebration and specials go until 2PM today but honestly, it’s cool dropping by Eastside any time.

9 Likes