What do you put on eggs?

I was just rereading a topic here, about peanut butter sandwiches, that veered onto ketchup on hot dogs, then to ketchup on eggs. I’m anti the first but pro the second. As I’ve gotten older I’ve developed some food intolerances and spicy things is one. So…. What’s good on eggs?? Only the mildest salsa is OK with me. What else should I try on eggs?

Leftover chimichurri from the night before has served me well on some eggs. How about a mild shakshuka? Bearnaise?

3 Likes

I don’t put anything on eggs but I put just about anything in eggs. Last night I made a frittata with sauteed onions, leftover spaghetti al pesto, some braised escarole left over from a French restaurant the other night, and a chunk of dried-out Monterey Jack.

1 Like

Chives and a nice fresh chèvre

4 Likes

Boursin cheese spread

6 Likes

Trader Joe’s everything bagel seasoning

3 Likes

Soy sauce and green onion. Esp. on crispy-edged sunny-side up eggs. If I’m ready to clean up a mess, I cook the soy sauce in the pan, maybe even char it a bit (if that’s the right word).

4 Likes

Variant 2: soy sauce and green onion, a pinch of white pepper and a touch of sesame oil mixed into scrambled eggs. Great tossed into fried rice served over steamed rice or on buttered toast.

3 Likes

third the soy sauce. it’s how i grew up eating them. so simple but so delicious. eat it with congee, toast, whatever.

2 Likes

Any type of cheese. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On soft-boiled, poached or fried eggs: hot sauce, harissa, za’atar, truffle salt, smoked paprika, Old Bay, togarishi.

3 Likes

I usually just eat them plain with salt.

Once in awhile cheese, soy sauce, ketchup or hot sauce (only on some brekky sandwiches or mixed with hash browns) never solo.

Lots of great input. Thank you!!! Keep ‘em coming

Never would’ve thought of those, but they totally make sense! Great ideas.

Black pepper always and often cheese. Sometimes I mix in some mayonnaise when making scrambled eggs. Makes them fluffy and a little tangy,

3 Likes

The only way my mother could get me to eat scrambled eggs as a kid (I had an unreasonable hate of yolks, for some reason) is to toss in a slice of Kraft singles. melts like a dream, of course.

Bonus: no additional salt needed.

7 Likes

I find fresh oregano super additive to eggs. Wife can’t live without sriracha on the side.

1 Like

Or you could just go simple, Extra-Creamy Scrambled Eggs Recipe - NYT Cooking

Seriously, btw this and not being able to access the Jacques Pepin-inspired choc chip cookie recipe, I feel like I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my subscription. Argh.

3 Likes

Maggi aka liquid MSG.

4 Likes