What Food Does Your Area Need?

Perle is fine for a neighborhood spot but I would not recommend someone drive in 30+ minutes for it.

5 Likes

Like what?

Louis, Steve’s, Pitburger, Jim’s…these are pretty ubiquitous in certain areas of So Cal.

2 Likes

Since that little shop in Santa Monica closed several years back, I don’t know of a single place in LA that has an edible croissant. It’s all been bready, improperly prepared junk.

1 Like

Pizza. Desperately. Except for the occasional trip into LA or OC, we haven’t had even decent pizza nor Italian food since we left the NJ/NY area. We’ve had some great Italian and pies in LA for sure. But near Rancho Cucamonga? It’s all fast food or a bizarre Americanized focaccia.

3 Likes

What kind of pizza are you looking for out that way?

There are a few neighborhood joints we used to frequent when we lived out that way. But if you are looking for Neopolitan, I don’t think it’s moved out that way quite yet.

Red Devil and San Biagio’s usually worked for us. But it’s been quite some time since we lived out that way so not sure if things remain the same.

2 Likes

Is there any better option than Perle in the area?

Closer than LA:

The food at Perle was solid — Petit Trois level. Long meal, no complaints.

In Alhambra where I live, we need a good American diner better Mexican and Italian options. Of course the Asian food here is incredible, but sometimes you want western comfort food.

4 Likes

I just checked, and Rod’s Diner (in Arcadia) apparently closed last year. That might’ve fit the bill for a good American diner (although still not in Alhambra).

2 Likes

Aw bummer, and this underscores the need for a good local diner even more!

1 Like

Not for that style of food

1 Like

Chef’s on Live Oak near Santa Anita Ave is still open. Haven’t been in years. I think I rarely went back in the day due to my allegiance to the old Chefs on Duarte and Sixth. $2.50 for a whole breakfast in 2000!
Leroy’s still seems to be jamming over on Huntington if you’re in the neighborhood.

How’re the diner type spots on Main St in Alhambra @Ernie_SGV ?

2 Likes

How is Pie n’ Burger?

Bun N Burger but that’s about it (not counting Dennys and IHOP)

It’s great but not in Alhambra

How about Twohey’s? I haven’t been since I left SoCal in 2007, but it was good the last time I went there and has been in business since 1943…in the city you asked about, Alhambra.

2 Likes

Twoheys is great but they are in South Pasadena now near Pasadena border

1 Like

Sorry, having been gone since 2007 means I missed out on the fact that they moved. At least Fosselman’s is still there in Alhambra!

1 Like