Where to find cilantro root?

The PokPok cookbook calls for cilantro roots a lot. This is something I’ve never looked for until now. Do most Asian grocers carry it, or do I need to go to Lax-C or some other specialty spot?

1 Like

I haven’t seen it at most larger, general Asian markets (eg, Ranch 99, H Mart, Seafood City) but I haven’t looked super hard since I didn’t expect to find them there.

I recently found them frozen at the LAX-C but it’s a little tricky as with a lot of small, specialized ingredients in that huge place. I believe they were in that bank of refrigerated aisles near the checkouts. Can’t remember which specific aisle but it’s on the side opposite of the bulk shrimp. Sorry I can’t give an better description

1 Like

They’re typically pretty easy to source frozen at Thai markets - I’ve bought them from Bangluck market in Thai town, though I’m sure LAX-C would have them as well. I also get them fresh when I buy cilantro (they keep the whole plant intact) at the South Pasadena farmers market from Dream farms - I’m sure other SEA/Thai/Hmong vendors would have them as well.

2 Likes

Very easy to grow cilantro at home, in case you want an ultimate fresh source.

3 Likes

I’ve found bunches of cilantro with roots on at farmers markets and at Indian grocers.

3 Likes

Swung by the LAX-C for the first time in a while and took a pic of the aisle (F2) and sign for the cilantro root.

The signs aren’t always correct at the LAX-C but there’s definitely cilantro root there right now

3 Likes