Where would you get birthday cakes/pastries?

Just stumbled upon Food Talk Central this morning and had to join right away. I’ve only had the chance to scroll through a few threads, but everyone seems so friendly and knowledgeable.

I would love to know where you’d recommend picking up treats for 8-10 people. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and since it falls on a Monday this year, I’d like to pick up some easy-to-distribute sweets for my office the day before. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

welcome

3 Likes

Welcome! What part of town?

4 Likes

I’m based in Silver Lake, but happy to drive anywhere within LA on a Sunday!

Republique mango passionfruit pie is available for pre order on Tock for $46. It’s a delicious dessert and very popular with the FTC crew. Welcome to FTC.

10 Likes

Can’t beat Republique. Individual pastries would be easier to distribute than the mango pie.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t need to be extremely high-end I’m kinda sorta in love with Copenhagen Pastry in Culver City.

6 Likes

Welcome! And js76wisco’s Republique mango pf pie is an excellent (and cost effective) suggestion. I’d rule out a lot of pastries in general just because they get compromised within the day. You could try Cake Monkey (Triple Berry Crumble, cakewiches, cake pudding, babka, lil merris) or cookies from Deluscious.

3 Likes

I want to love them. What do you like there?

Agree w/ the Republique. Did someone also post a photo of a Phoenix cake recently? That might be a good option (that I assume would be slightly cheaper).

Also agree that pastries may not fare well the next day.

If there’s a Paderia near you, maybe some cookies or egg tarts (although my last cookie from them was seriously raw on the inside, which was… unappetizing)?

3 Likes

Welcome.

3 Likes

Anything with custard filling is great, I think either the copenhagen or the spandauer have custard. Kringles are great and I think can be bought in large sizes. Definitely the butter cake, but its more like a breakfast/tea cake than a desert. Morning buns are solid.

The chocolate walnut cake is insane. People like their princess cake but I haven’t had it. If you have an aversion to marzipan Copenhagen may not be your jam. Also worth mentioning that they are very reasonably priced.

5 Likes

Aside from mango passion fruit which is amazing.

Sweet lady janes triple berry cake is great Melrose area

Fat and flour downtown also excellent but pricey. Plus you can get cookies that are more shareable. I love the key lime pie or chess pies.

If you’re looking for more shareable items artelice pastiserrie on sawtelle has insanely good/beautiful looking desserts. We got them for our wedding, both bite sized and slightly larger but they have quite a variety.

If you’re looking for cookies Zooies in Palms cheap and delicious.

4 Likes

republique mango passion fruit cream pie
fishing with dynamite key lime pie

4 Likes

Oh man, I knew this was the right place to ask. I’ve never ordered something so quickly.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I went with the mango passionfruit pie for the office, which sounds like it’s worth the effort to cut/dish up. Also ordered some pastries on the side to have that same day because they all look amazing. I’ll definitely be referring to this thread anytime we’re craving something sweet! :croissant:

7 Likes

I haven’t been in 15 years (I live in Japan now(, but Porto’s (especially since you’re in Silver Lake which isn’t too far from Glendale), would be my first choice. When I worked in Downtown LA or in Montrose and had early morning meetings, I would often go to Porto’s and buy cheese rolls or their Refugiado (guava and cheese strudel). They were ALWAYS popular with everyone and travel well.

Their tres leches cake was popular if I had to buy a large cake for a party, too. I know Porto’s is crowded, but for many items you can order in advance and AFAIK, there are still special lines for phone orders. I have also read that Porto’s quality may have declined with their vast expansion, so especially since I’ve been gone since 2007, YMMV. Personally, though I miss their cheese rolls more than any other LA area bakery item!

7 Likes
  • cake - phoenix bakery is great
  • pastries - since all the replies here have already mentioned Republique, I’ll throw out Sugarbloom which I thought had a higher average quality than Republique.
4 Likes

Welcome to FTC!!!

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong w/ Republique mango passionfruit pie. Just be aware that the crust can require a bit of muscle to cut through. :slight_smile:

What do you like from her?

1 Like

I found Sugarblooms croissants and cookies to be superior to Republique’s. That bacon cheddar biscuit is also really good if you like biscuits.

4 Likes

LOVE biscuits. Will have to give her stuff a try. :slight_smile:

2 Likes