Y'all famous. LAT piece on CH vs. FTC is out

Interestingly, the article seems to have had a much bigger impact on member numbers here than Hungry Onion. We were more than 100 members behind, but we have now caught up and passed them (288), while they have barely budged (263).

The default setting for user number is for the current week. You have to change it in the drop down menu to “All Time” for the total amount of users. We currently have 375 users. HO has 391.

Unless I’m doing it wrong…?

1 Like

I’m active on both, and I have to honestly say I’m not seeing much difference as far as activity. Sometimes HO is busier, sometimes FTC is – but anecdotally, they’re both becoming more active and drawing a lot of members.

you also have to count how many of us ARE active on both.

I’d like to think that at some point in the future they can be folded together, as the duplication is pretty heavy at this piont. Dunno that that will ever happen, but that’s my feeling.

1 Like

I really don’t see it as a race or competiton between the various sites, Hungry Onion, Food Talk, Chowhound or whatever.

None of the sites require, implicitly or explicitly, an oath of monogamous fealty. Certainly not this one. Some people will simply gravitate to a particular site based on a site’s particularized area of activity (i.e., Home Cooking versus France, for example), or the other participants on that particular site. And some will participate in all of the available sites.

It’s all good in my opinion. The more food discussion there is in the ether, the better.

If nothing else, the availability of viable choices forces each site to innovate and continuously improve.

Nothing motivates like the fear of becoming irrelevant.

7 Likes

I too migrated here as a result of the article!

1 Like

Happy to have read the L.A. Times piece and found out about this site.

I am currently working on filing my taxes by October 15 and trying to navigate the new Chowhound to find useful content reminds me of trying to navigate the U.S. Tax Code and the various IRS forms. It’s complicated, frustrating and makes you want to tear your hair out.

When your website is being compared to the IRS, you should know you are in trouble. Good luck to them at Chowhound.

3 Likes

Me too

1 Like

Maybe this post should be moved to Guilty Pleasures??

You guys are HERE! Ok late to the party but I’ll make snacks…

2 Likes

From BoardReader on Chowhound…graph is stunning on the downward spike down…sad

http://boardreader.com/site/Food_and_Recipe_Forums_Chowhou_197029.html

1 Like

Indeed. The two graphs from boardreader are rather stark. Sort of tells the story, at least from a user-perspective.

As I pointed out in another topic, the URL was changed to www.chowhound.com. Can you do the search on that URL?

I’ve tried but don’t know if the stats are up yet on Boardreader since it looks like they switched on 9/12 to chowhound.com from chow.com.

Here is a link from Alexa on chowhound.com

www.alexa.com/siteinfo/chowhound.com

Looks like a third of the traffic is people Googling for recipes.

in general, concerning media (books/websites) in every format, cooking gets way more traffic/income than restaurant reviews.

i posted that. was curious whether they’d let my post stay up, and it did. that said, i wish the bay area boards for HO and FTC were more active…

So I heard this is where chowhounds go after they die and are reborn.

Sup y’all.

14 Likes

more like killed by a moron with dimples, or her jabba the hutt catfishing alter ego…welcome

1 Like

It wasn’t complete without you. Really glad to see that you made it @Ns1 .

1 Like

How are they going to get good recipes on CH when all the good cooks are here and on HO now . Just saying

1 Like