Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

I want to try this but that first comment scares me.

what are your favorite Bhocolate Bhip Bookies recipes? I looked for a thread on this, I didn’t see one. Hard to believe there isn’t one.

BTW, I love julia child so my go-to is her recipes first.

5 Likes

The generic one I use is from ChefSteps: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies-when-average-equals-amazing

287g Butter
213g Sugar
213g Brown sugar
4.9g Baking soda
5.4g Kosher salt
11.5g Vanilla extract
100g Eggs
200g Cake Flour
200g Bread Flour
436g 58% bittersweet chocolate pistoles

The more involved recipe is this one from Alvin Zhou: 48-Hour Chocolate Chip Cookies - YouTube

2 Likes

These are from Fanny Zanotti, less traditional but so so good

A LOT OF RYE AND A LITTLE MILK CHOCOLATE KIND OF COOKIES

makes 24

100g butter

120g light brown sugar

40g caster sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract/paste

one egg

90g rye flour

90g plain flour

120g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks

30g rye flakes

one tsp flaky seasalt, crushed

1/2 tsp baking powder

In a large heatproof bowl, melt the butter. Add the sugars and vanilla and mix well. When it’s cooled down a bit, whisk in the egg.

In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and add them to the butter mixture. Stir until it forms a dough.

Scrape it onto a large piece of clingfilm and pat into a 2cm thick rectangle. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least an hour or up to 3 days.

Cut into 24 squares, roughly the same size. Now you can either bake the cookies straight away or freeze the dough for later use. In that case, simply let it thaw in the fridge for a couple of hours before proceeding to the rest.

Roll the little squares of dough into balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, making sure to space them quite a bit, around 8cm apart.

Bake at 170°C for 10-12 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Allow to cool down slightly.

3 Likes

Have you tried any of the other recipes in their parametric? Not even sure if I’m using that word correctly. I used what seems like a precursor of their parametric analyses for sous vide eggs and recall it was an interesting reference but not as precise as they seem to advertise.

We’ve been using Stella Parks Serious Eats quick and easy chocolate chip cookies recipe for a while:

We also scoop and individually freeze the recipe to bake straight form the freezer for on-demand freshly baked cookies.

1 Like

This showed up today at #5 in a list of the most-saved recipes from nytimes.com. The main trick is that the dough is wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for 24-72 hours.

This should be the same recipe:

1 Like

My personal tweak to the NYT recipe: swap the amounts for white and brown sugar. 10oz white, 8 oz brown. I like them a little crisper. Also, I don’t go for the big 3 oz. cookies. 2 oz is my ball weight. Refridgerate at LEAST 24 hours.

Cook at the highest level your oven rack goes. I like my tops nice 'n crisp. I freeze them and bake from frozen after lightly wetting with damp fingers and sprinkling maldon salt at 350 for 17 minutes. most people think this is overdone. They are wrong.

2 Likes

I live them caramelized like that too. Not everybody’s favorite, that’s for sure.

There were recipes and tips posted in one thread (some will overlap w/ what has been posted here):

And here’s a video:

2 Likes

If you mean any of the other drop cookies then yes I’ve made them all. Like you, I freeze the dough so I always have bags of 3 or 4 cookies to heat up at a moments notice. The white chocolate Mac nut and peanut butter cookies are my favorite of the bunch. The oatmeal are quite good too but I now toast the oatmeal and add a little brittle from this Claire Saffitz recipe: Oat and Pecan Brittle Cookies Recipe | Bon Appétit

1 Like

Interesting.

This Is brilliant!

Wait… do people NOT do this? Like, when you make a batch of cookies, do you bake ALL off them? I’d only do that if I was prepping for a bake sale/giveaway of some sort. Why would you leave fresh cookies to go stale!?

I’ve tried these and been fairly successful getting those super thin, crispy cookies, but it takes a couple of tricks.

first: fridge the dough overnight before dividing into balls. balls should be SMALL. no more than 1.5 oz. 1 oz is better.

Flattening the balls before freezing is very important. Letting them mostly thaw before baking also encourages the spreading.

Bake at 350 for ~12 min or until they are uniformly brown over the whole surface of the cookie, including the center. Then turn off the oven, open the door, and leave the cookies in the oven to allow them to get rid of as much moisture as possible, and increase the crispiness. Let cool COMPLETELY for maximum crunch.

We live in a condo, so we give them to neighbors. :slight_smile:

It’s a fair question but as someone that’s dipping their toe back to baking after about a 20 years I find few recipes include instructions on portioning, freezing and baking cookies from frozen (including the Stella Parks recipe I linked upthread).

Since I have to watch my diet pretty carefully (and I get the munchies from time to time) it’s made a world of difference looking into how some folks make cookies both initially and from frozen.

Since I’ve been talking it up, our baked from frozen method is:

• Portion dough into 1/4 cup (dry measure) balls. That’s just the smaller size of our portioning scoop and makes for a pretty big cookie between 3-4 inches across so feel free to make them smaller but I’m assuming it’ll effect the baking time/temp
  • Freeze and store in ziplock (no need to individually wrap)
  • Put in oven during preheat to 375F
  • When oven is preheated, bake for 15-18 minutes depending on desired doneness. Our oven takes longer to preheat depending on the season so it tends to be in the oven at 15 minutes in the winter and 18 minutes in the summer

I also prefer cakier, crumbly fresh cookies so feel free to tweak the above instructions if that’s not for you.

1 Like

Rolls of cookie dough wrapped in plastic keep in the refrigerator for months, or would if we didn’t eat them in days. Slice and bake as desired.

2 Likes