In search of: American-style sushi rolls

I would say, “Stop, please.” (In a bored voice.)

Because, really. No one likes the sound of that, and honestly… when was the last time you ended up with a splinter in your tongue from chopsticks?

(from The Japan Times)

1 Like

Well @TheCookie asked me for a nice alternative. I’ve been slowly trained over the years to not go full on snark immediately. :wink:

3 Likes

Damn gaijin.

Hi @PorkyBelly & Folks -

I’ve been tasked with finding a Hollywood area Sushi place for visiting Ohioans… by 1pm!!! They’re going to want something more Hollywood flash, than under the radar Shunji. I don’t have time to look thru all these posts. Any suggestions?

Signed,
Tired & Desperate

If you’re looking for flash I would suggest Sushi of Gari.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks!

this is going into the best of yelp thread too:

2 Likes

Unless by flash you mean rainbow-dynamite-cotton-candy-california rolls?

1 Like

I’ve been having an itch to cheat on my usually conservative Sushi School spots and have some fun, untraditional rolls. So gracias!

Or Roku. It’s kind of flashy, and they have a patio. It’s a beautiful day in L.A., enjoy the sunshine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somewhere in between. Where did you end up going when you were looking for crazy type rolls and such?

Yep, Roku would definitely hit the spot. They’ll love it.

2 Likes

There’s also a Katsuya about a block away from Gari. If you want to travel to Studio City, you’re already familiar with Iroha.

1 Like

Nothing near hollywood. you’re probably better off going to roku if you’re looking for rolls. gari has flashy nigiri but no crazy rolls.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s Roku today. But I remember your Gari report and wanna’ check that out soon for myself

Thanks for helping me out once again folks!

1 Like

Actually going to Gari will serve a vital function in your continued pursuit of sushi education. The visit might teach two lessons: (1) Discernment of the obvious (and subtle) contrasts between more traditional sushi and modern/inventive sushi, and (2) Recognition of the importance of pairings & combinations of flavors (and textures!), as it relates to rice, neta, sauce, and any toppings. You might discover that you love some combinations, and dislike others.

3 Likes

I like everything at Gari but the price. Mon Dieu!

2 Likes

Wow, you read my mind, but communicated it better :slight_smile:. I’ve been wanting to take my new found knowledge for a spin at a less traditional place. Gari seems like the place.

BTW Y’all… L.A. visiting Ohioans were big fun! Game for anything.

1 Like

So glad of this tread! I went to Bar Hayama the other night and every single roll was bland! The sushi was fine enough, as were some of the appetizers like shishito peppers. I wasn’t sure if it was an off night or that was normal, but every roll was on the verge of flavorlessness. Then I had lunch with a friend at Yabu, and the dishes like fried chicken and root vegetables were delicious, but the rolls looked like a second grader made them. And kinda tasted that way. I do have my fave sushi place, Echigo, but they don’t do rolls. Will try some of the places listed here!

watery yellowtail at Bar Hayama with no kick whatsover

Flavorless roll at Bar Hayama

luckily the fried scallops were good

the squid was on the chewy side :unamused:

great fried chicken at Yabu

melt in your mouth eggplant

roll came out falling apart and tasted mostly of mayo

The rolls I pick up regularly at Marukai market are much better than what I had at either Yabu or Bar Hayama.

4 Likes