LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Which Sunset? The one on West side (original) is always good when we go.

1 Like

Night and Market has some pretty damn good dishes.

I love the pork neck, spicy spaghetti kee mao (I think he calls it mall pasta), the curries…gaeng hang lay and jungle curry, the chicken sandwich, I think the Northern dishes are fine but you can get them at Pailin/NTFC/Spicy, in a much more comfortable no frills mom-n-pop environment as opposed to the close seating and shitty music.

2 Likes

The one closer to Silver Lake.

I’ve had no luck finding mutton in the US except for one guy who offered to sell me a whole sheep.

1 Like

And the Hollywood sunset location has a mean happy hour if you can get there before 7PM (they might 've changed it to earlier), but everything was under 9 dollars including pork toro, pig tails, papaya salad, and fried chicken sandwich and cheap drinks too.

1 Like

Great food, dishes I have not encountered elsewhere, great wine list. fun people-watching, close to Bar Bandini.

1 Like

There are a few Bangladeshi places around here with it and i think some halal places have it too.

Night + Market was amazing at the beginning when Kris was actually cooking and it was still Talesai and they barely had any customers. As they expanded they started catering to a more middle market customer, and toned down the flavors and heat on pretty much everything so the food wouldn’t be sent back (this is also what happened at Luv2Eat). Wine list is fun though.

5 Likes

We’ll go to Scarantino’s in Glendale for “red sauce” Italian. Nothing especially spectacular, but a decent local place.

2 Likes

Yes. A lot of BB’s are too heavy or greasy. But their spinach/potato/egg BB is awesome. Full of flavor, satisfying but? Still not too heavy. A happily surprising delight :yum: :+1:

2 Likes

Majordomo is having Tacos 1986 for their Collab Lunch 1/25 - 1/26. Is it wrong that when I see the hammy guy on the trompo I have an irrational urge to slap him? And the people who laugh at his every hammy move?

2 Likes

My hubby would be in Italian-American heaven if we had a Lomeli’s (Gardena) in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

yes yes… i do believe that’s called 'hating" by the kids… Joy is an amazing, humble guy in reality but the persona and charisma has been a huge part of their draw… i do realize how it’s quirky enough to annoy some

2 Likes

Yes yes… I get it. He’s proof that you can come from anywhere and become anything in this country if you work it. He worked it. I dig it. I think I even saw him in an Amex commercial. But I still have an irrational urge to slap him and this is Hot Takes, so I said it! And this part doesn’t bother me because I didn’t like the tacos, but some that do say his self-promoting has gotten in the way of his cooking. I really don’t like that. Shrug.

5 Likes

Haven’t been to that location. I love the larb gai, crispy rice salad, and the massaman. I also really like how the flavors are turned up to a level that borders on… garish.

I admittedly don’t order super spicy anything and didn’t go when it first opened, but my experience at the WeHo and Venice locations have not been one of toned down flavors.

Was the full Talesai menu very different from the customer favorites they have on the WeHo and/or Venice menu? The customer favorites sounded… bland.

1 Like

I think he’s definitely just trying to play the game. I don’t know if his business persona is his real one. In this business sometimes you may only have 15mins of fame and if you’re running a business you sometimes gotta squeeze as much out of that time frame while you can.

3 Likes

Yah, I understand. Mind you this is just a fleeting reaction to the muscle flexing, winking & flirting and not a long simmering dislike. If it works for him great. But doesn’t the 15 minutes extend to longevity not from shtick but from putting out consistently good food? A la @JLee? :wink: I was really excited to eat the tacos because the menu is right up my alley. But I could’ve saved the money and just put a tablespoon of salt on my tongue. It was so careless.

1 Like

Reminds me how many felt about Nguyen from starry kitchen and he managed to squeeze a helluva lot out of it.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I never ate at Talesai (Kris took over one side of the restaurant while Talesai kept operating on the larger side), but my impression was that it was very 80s Thai-American, so yes, probably very bland.

1 Like

Talesai is still there. Go once at happy hour, get 3 Cocktails and the order some dishes including the roti hanglay. Then let’s touchback. I need to do same

1 Like