Mooncakes in LA

Haha it could be! Honestly I don’t think I’ve had mooncakes with any of my small number of HK born and raised friends. My Gen X and older relatives do love them with the yolks though.

And I’ve had steamed meatloaf (蒸肉餠) with a number of aromatic toppings - salty egg yolk, salted fish, dried scallops. Of those, the salty egg yolk is my least favorite.

With all the salty egg yolk in the mooncake, what happened to the egg white?

I love salted egg yolks. I eat those straight up, mixed into congee, as a sandwich fixing, or mixed into fried rice (or even omurice).

2 Likes

Those people are buying them to give to people.

Might have your Chinese card revoked if you were to visit someone to wish them a Prosperous Autumn Moon festival empty-handed.

Hockey pucks, doorstops… People love receiving mooncakes!

Ah, that explains why I didn’t realize they were more for giving. My parents never visit anyone. Sad, but true. ::sigh::

They re-gifted me some no-name (IMHO) moocakes they received last yr. Not inedible, but certainly not good.

My lone HK friend likes (but not loves) the egg yolk ones. All the better for me, since they egg-less ones tend to be cheaper.

Team Lotus No Egg Yolk here

3 Likes

has anyone tried the egg custard mooncakes from peninsula nyc http://newyork.peninsula.com/en/special-offers/mooncakes? how does it compare to version in HK? @ipsedixit has gotten me obsessed with hunting some down. Sold out at their Hong Kong location

Hi @Sgee,

Wow these look good. But $100 for Mooncakes?! :open_mouth:

Is this really worth it? :slight_smile:

Brief seasonal obsession… :grin:

@chandavkl: not to be totally weird and stalk-y, but were you at the SG Superstore this afternoon? I totally think I saw you. But, since I’ve never seen you “live” or introduced myself, I didn’t want to be like, “Are you David Chan???”

Friend and I did a mooncake run after Lunasia.

IFT and then Wing Wah (from Good Fortune). We also got some frozen snowskin ones, but I haven’t opened them yet. The white one is a Taiwanese version w/ mung bean. I actually really like that one. And, yes, there’s a savory pastry pictured that isn’t mooncake (I assume).

3 Likes

Nice @paranoidgarliclover.

Let us know which ones turn out the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, we were in the San Gabriel Superstore this afternoon–don’t recall exactly when, perhaps 3pm. Actually I’ve had a few people come up so it wouldn’t be that weird.

Yes, that was the time! Had I known, I would’ve introduced myself. Oh, well. Next time. :wink:

We were talking about all the extravagant and weird ones, I forgot to ask…

Does anyone have suggestions for the best Lotus Seed & Egg Mooncakes?

$35 for the D24
$50 for the same brand but with Mao Shan Wang

This pricing is from Wing Hip Fung in the square market plaza in rosemead, they have plenty of both in stock. I assume prices will be similar all around. This is the first time I have seen the mao shan wang ones in stock, usually the coolers just have D24.

1 Like

Are D24 and Mao Shan Wang different species of durian? My friend can read Chinese characters and said he couldn’t tell how the 2 differed.

The Mao Shan Wang ones are also present at either Good Fortune or SG Superstore (or possibly both).

Yes.

The latter is like the king of durians; the former is merely a different species of durian.

1 Like

aka

1 Like

Perhaps a silly question, but is the smell much stronger after they’ve been cut open? I ask b/c I smelled some fresh ones (unopened) while I was at Good Fortune and didn’t really find the odor to be particularly offensive (although could understand why others might). I don’t think I’ve ever eaten one b/f…