The Drunk, Stoned, and Hungry thread

I didn’t even notice the date you’re right about the website. The fish isn’t there.

Passing an actual location last week, I saw the poster for it in the window, which is why I looked it up and found that promo piece. Unfortunately, when I went the next day to try it, the place had shut its dining room AND drive through, saying their ‘system was down’ and they could not take in person orders. As I’m not willing to let a bunch of fast food apps live on my phone, I haven’t yet been able to try the sandwich. :frowning:

Generally I don’t have fast food apps on my phone either. I only had the JITB page on there so I could keep track of when regular tacos returned to the menu, after the Great Taco Famine of 2021. I don’t at all like the idea of an app being a requirement to order fast food, and sure hope that was just temporary for your situation, and doesn’t become a trend.

1 Like

This is an El Monterey brand breakfast burrito. Disappointing when you have the midnight munchies and Lucy & Ethel must have missed one at the filling site on the assembly line. :woozy_face::roll_eyes:

10 Likes

I hope you reported it to El Monterey and claimed a freebie.

3 Likes

OT but I was disappointed that Being the Ricardos referenced several iconic I Love Lucy episodes but not the candy factory one.

1 Like

Just in case we needed a further reporting, I’m happy to report that the Jack in the Box fish sandwich is actually pretty good! The fish has that ‘fish stick’ sort of taste about it that I rather like, and the coating is some sort of panko coating that’s SUPER crisp. The deluxe comes w/ 2 fish patties. Worth it.

Now, of course, I’m gonna have to go try Arby’s.

7 Likes

I tried the deluxe fish the other day myself – pretty good overall. Turns out it is wild Alaskan pollock (as all other fast food fish sandwiches seem to be, with the exception of Popeye’s flounder sandwich). Tastes much the same as Burger King’s Big Fish – that is when I order two of those and re-assemble them into one sandwich. The JITB fish patties, although crisper, seem somewhat smaller than the ones from BK, but the JITB sandwich is ready to go – no reassembly necessary. Price works out to be the same ($6 vs 2/$6), but despite the smaller patties, I think I’ll go with JITB from now on, because that reassembly business is a messy PITA when eating in the car.

2 Likes

unfortunately, the JITB fish is seasonal at best (at least, it seems to be around California). Expect it will disappear some time after Easter.

2 Likes

Lenten special? How retro.

when I was still in L.A. the McD’s there put Filet-o-Fish on special all through Lent. I haven’t seen it anywhere else. I suspect it varies by franchise owner…

OK I’m not going to create a “Drunk, Stoned, Hungry, and Jewish” thread.

But when I saw the manager specials as I was walking by the meat counter I noticed these and thought “I’ve never tried these before. I’m curious.”

Introducing the competitors:

And they’re bargain basement prices:

Interesting enough all three of them take 3 1/2 minutes to make, and all have the same calorie count.

There must be a regulatory Pseudo-Mac-N-NotReallyCheese Council. They also obviously have no objection to them misusing the word nutrition on the label.

First up, Kraft.

As I’m adding the powder, all I can do is revel in the flood of memories, from my youth, of mom cooking, of how this is so eerily similar to the home cooking of my mother and grandmother. Yes, so reminiscent lol. (Sarcasm, people, all we had were home cooked meals).

Yeah, if this is “the cheesiest” I’m in real trouble here. It kind of tastes like cheese. I like that the noodles came out al dente. Those test kitchen chefs really worked overtime to make sure that happened.

NEXT, Chef Karlin Fast Mac.

Firstly, opening up the container there are these little powdery floaties in there. I had to make sure they weren’t some kind of bugs. Reading the label it says not to remove these things that it helps the cooking process. Hmm. There was a very offputting smell. Here’s after the water was added:

Chef Karlin? I think they meant to spell it Carlin as in George Carlin, because this stuff was really a joke.

After mixing in the “cheese” powder, it looked more like soup. But I trust the instructions that it would thicken if I just let it sit for 60 seconds. The man that smell, it smelled like stale cardboard and a splash of vinegar.

Yeah, after waiting the appropriate time, it thickened a little bit, but it was awful. Again however the noodles were al dente.

Lastly is Velveeta.

Theirs is different in that it comes with a pouch filled with their delicious petroleum and mystery ingredient NotCheeseFood-like stuff.

So this was the most Mac-N-Cheese looking of all of the entries.

It was… Edible. Good call on the shells. I think I would’ve preferred it a little less loose. Maybe using a touch less water than they recommend.

FINAL VERDICT:

Surprisingly, the Kraft tasted more like cheese then the other two. So I would have to say, that the Kraft Mac N Cheese sucked the least.

Glad I only took 1-2 bites of each. No telling what it’ll do to my gizzards.

But now I can be sure that after all these years of never having the stuff, I wasn’t missing a thing.

10 Likes

Damn brings me back! I loved both velveeta shells and cheese and kraft mac when I was a kid. I loved mixing tuna into them back in the day.

2 Likes

The tuna would help these a lot.

Come to think of it, even dog shit would help. (Sorry I’m so vile :wink: )

2 Likes

Flashback Monday!

1 Like

I think I used up my allotted likes on this thread.

4 Likes

I couldn’t think of where else to put this, so here seemed reasonable.

I love colas. Generally, I’m a Coke person, all things being equal, but I’ll drink Pepsi. It’s fine. Too sweet. I like RC as well, falling somewhere between Coke and Pepsi on on the tooth-rotting-diabetes-inducing scale. What I really like is the weird independents. The Fentimans, Q Cola from Brooklyn (found a case at a Grocery Outlet once. Then it was gone forever.) Empire, Afri-Cola. Boylan’s isn’t bad, either.

So when I started seeing ads for Pepsi Nitro I was totally game to try it. Cola with a creamy, Guinness-like head? Sign me up!

At $8+ (incl tax and crv) for a four pack it’s even pricer than Mexicoke in the half-liter glass bottles.

Opening the can gets you a cool jet-engine whoosh and the very first sip you take is, indeed, creamy and velvety… and absolutely tooth-shatteringly sweet. And after that first sip? What you’re left with is flat Pepsi.

Cola, esp Pepsi, is already way too sweet, but the sharp carbonation cuts through it and tones it down. Nitro bubbles though, don’t seem to have the staying power they do in Guinness, and they don’t have the same acidic pop. What you’re left with is the dessert of colas.

Neat idea. Doesn’t work.

Even lightly baked as I was, it’s still just a liquid sugar bomb.

9 Likes

As someone who works in the industry and seems to drink a fair amount of soda can I ask what thoughts you have (if any) about diet Dr. Pepper?

2 Likes

Dr Pepper (diet or otherwise) is a vile pox upon mankind surpassed only by Mr. Pibb.

I recognize there are many who disagree with this. They are free to be as wrong as they wish.

3 Likes

Nice

2 Likes

I was tempted to thank you for taking one for the team but I will ONLY EVER drink Coca Cola, preferably Mexican. But I’m a native Atlantan, home of Coca Cola.

3 Likes